When I talked to many members before Medtrade this year, there was skepticism about this year’s show.
Yes, the attendance was down, and yes, the actual show floor was much smaller than in past years, but certainly anyone going to the show this year should have expected that to some degree. If you were to tell me otherwise, I would say you were fibbing.
U.S. RehabR and VGM went to Medtrade with a very optimistic view of our industry. Yes, it’s difficult now, but there are many reasons to be optimistic. Our emphasis this year was on three areas: improving core business, operational efficiencies and growth opportunities. These are the keys to not just surviving, but thriving.
Those members attending the show were there because they want to thrive. They were looking for help. They were seeking information that would help their business thrive moving forward.
Optimize within your core:
- Identify core lines of business
- Be excellent at each
- Drive significant growth in core
- Perfect the operations and the process
Operational improvements and efficiencies:
- Inadequate business fundamentals
- Expenses too high
- Lack of scale
Growing your business:
- Retail showroom — understanding retail trends and how to develop the incremental sales dollar.
- Home modifications and the retail home improvement market for aging in place.
- Think in terms of programs, not products
- Emerging categories: pain management, CPAP resupply and VGM Fulfillment, wound care, home sleep testing, helping hospital solve their problems, specialty respiratory.
U.S. Rehab and VGM are focused on bringing programs and solutions for all independent providers, both contract winners and non-winners alike. The market is changing and we are reviewing items daily to help you change with this emerging market.
We’ve always advocated for independent providers, and we’ll continue to put your success at the top of our list. Based on U.S. demographics, the future of HME is brighter than ever.
Thank you for being a U.S. Rehab and VGM Member, and remember we are only a phone call away from helping you continue to move forward and thrive in today’s changing marketplace .